Introduction: Computed tomography (CT) is the first-choice examination for a possible head trauma because of its accuracy, reliability, safety, and accessibility. During the acute period of trauma, early diagnostics and application of treatment manipulation can reduce the sickness rates and death rates of trauma patients, as well as the risk of complications, time spent in hospital, and the amount of funds spent on health care.
Methods: Patients selected for the study were aged over 18 and had CT scanning carried out in 2015 in LSMUL KK emergency department (ED) after suspecting intracranial injury (TLK–10–AM:S06). Patients who suffered penetrating trauma, had neuro deficit or skull bone fractures, were excluded from the study. The following data were collected: patient age, sex, times of arriving in the ED and of the CT performance, radiological findings present. The patients were divided into two groups: CT scanning performed in less than 1 hour or performed in over 1 hour.
Results: A total of 2,119 patients with suspected intracranial injury after head trauma underwent CT scanning. 31.4% patients were female, while 68.6% male. For 50.1% patients CT was preformed in less than 1 hour. 84.0% of all patients did not present any radiological alterations related with intracranial injuries. CT was performed in less than 1 hour in 69.6% of cases with diagnosed injuries caused by intracranial trauma, while in the remaining 30.4% of cases – CT was performed in more than 1 hour. A statistically significant difference was observed.
Conclusions: Intracranial injuries in males are suspected twice as often as in females. Most of the patients did not present any radiological alterations related with intracranial injuries. The most often-diagnosed intracranial alteration was subdural haemorrhage. CT was significantly more often performed within the first hour in those cases, where an intracranial injury was detected.